- Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX). This one's the most popular miner ETF, with 32 producers in its portfolio. Some of them are hybrid companies with major revenues from other metals like copper or silver.
- Global X Pure Gold Miners ETF (GGGG). Playing off against the GDX, this ETF limits itself to mining companies with 95% or more of their revenues coming from gold production.
- PowerShares Global Gold and Precious Metals Portfolio (PSAU). Taking the opposite tack from the previous, this ETF holds miners that produce a diversified basket of precious metals.
- Gold Explorers ETF (GLDX). Typically, the companies in this ETF's holdings don't have any revenue. As its name says, it's devoted to holding a basket of promising gold exploration companies. It holds 28 explorers.
- Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bear 2x Shares (DUST). An ETF that provided double leverage on the short side for gold miners.
- Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 2x Shares (NUGT). An ETF whose holdings are geared to approximate double leverage on the bull side. This is done by selecting a basket of stocks that have a collective beta of two relative to a basket of all gold miners.
Friday, March 25, 2011
Business Insider Guide To Gold Miner ETFs
This guide contains a list and brief descriptions of what each ETF holds. In order, the six listed are: